Vice Provost of Academic Personnel Academic Administrator Series (AP 21-03)
Date Posted: November 23, 2021
Closing Date: February 1, 2022
Job Description: Download
The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR), a statewide program with local development and delivery, is seeking applications for the position of Vice Provost of Academic Personnel.
Location Headquarters: UC ANR Building, 2801 2nd Street, Davis, California
Purpose: The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) is committed to excellence that reflects delivering evidence-based solutions to a diverse and inclusive audience. The UC ANR seeks a highly motivated individual with an exceptional leadership and academic record to serve as Vice Provost of Academic Personnel.
Through leadership, vision and strategy the successful applicant will advance the UC ANR’s mission of impact through extension education and applied research that supports all Californians by
- Promoting successful recruitment, development and retention of UC ANR academics,
- Identifying tools, trainings, and evaluation measures for reaching diverse audiences through inclusive programming, and
- Supporting streamlined performance evaluation of UC ANR personnel that promotes innovation and excellence to positively impact the lives of all Californians.
Specific elements include
- Capacity Building and Inclusion.
- Working closely with Academic Human Resources, lead the recruitment of academic positions within UC ANR.
- Provide leadership for implementation of practices leading to recruitment of a diverse workforce of talented academics.
- Develop personnel development paths and mentoring options for academics and program staff that build success, innovation and inclusion for positive change in reaching diverse audiences.
- Mentor academic advisors and other staff to do their best work and solve issues.
- Provide leadership to lifelong learning and career-long development of academics to deliver impactful programming that reaches representative populations.
- Performance review.
- Help build an evaluation system with metrics that enable personnel to assess progress and impact in relation to Public Value Statements and inspires collaboration among academics (on and off campus) and staff.
- Serve as chair of UC ANR Peer Review Committee to oversee the evaluation of academic advancement cases (merit and promotions).
- Serve as a liaison with the Academic Assembly personnel committee on appointment and training of ad hoc review committees.
- As needed, identify and execute disciplinary actions, support investigation cases, and review academic grievances.
This position sits on Program Council and is a key member of a combined leadership team, including the Vice Provost of Strategic Initiatives and Statewide Programs, the Vice Provost of Research and Extension, and the Associate Vice President. This position works closely with Academic HR, Learning and Development, the Program Planning and Evaluation units, and with a DEI director/DEI Advisory Council.
Education: A minimum of a Ph.D., or other terminal degree, in a field of science relevant to UC ANR programming is required prior to the appointment start date.
- A record of scholarly and administrative achievement that demonstrates a commitment to academic excellence in achieving Cooperative Extension and applied research impacts.
- Significant experience as an academic administrator with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated success recruiting and mentoring academics for career success.
- Strong understanding of Cooperative Extension and the Land Grant mission.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating academic programs and in developing and executing strategies that promote organizational change.
- Values diversity and can communicate how to build that into programs and work environments.
- In-state travel is required.
A background investigation will be required for the successful candidate, including fingerprinting and a criminal history clearance by the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This position is subject to the requirements and compliance of the California’s Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA). Employment within UC ANR is contingent upon securing written acknowledgement to comply with California law.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: The beginning salary will be in the University of California Academic Administrator series and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding UC Academic Administrator series scales, please refer to the University of California website: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/1920/1920-adj-scales/t34.pdf
If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE academic with indefinite status, the candidate will be offered the position commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications with eligibility to retain a 0% appointment in the current CE academic title and the associated indefinite status within UC policy.
BENEFITS: The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including two days per month paid vacation, one day per month paid sick leave, and approximately thirteen paid holidays per year. For more information, refer to the UCnet website at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits
For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu.
How to Apply
If interested in this position, please visit: recruit.ucanr.edu and choose “applicants” (refer to position #21-03).
Closing Date: To ensure full consideration, submit materials by February 1, 2022. Those received after February 1, 2022 may be considered if the position has not yet been filled (Open until filled).
Contact Tatiana Avoce email: email@example.com